Re: [NTLK] NCU and OSX via keyspan

From: NewtonGuy (newtonpad_at_alltel.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 16:49:09 PST

I don't know about auto crossover sensing but this is what I
experienced in Mac OS 10.3.2 using a crossover to connect
a Newton to an iMac.

When I tried to connect the software on the Mac side said
appletalk unavailable.

I was not able to connect to the Mac.

The newton could find the Mac on the appletalk network
but could not connect to it.

When looking at the network control panel while the newton
was connected using a crossover cable it said
"the cable for built in Ethernet is not plugged in"

When I told the Newton to look for a Mac. The ethernet card
activated and the network control panel changed indicating
that the cable was plugged in.

After finding the mac. The Newton's ethernet card disengaged/
Then the network control panel on the Mac read
"the cable for built in Ethernet is not plugged in".

When I tried to dock it would changed shortly to indicate it
was plugged in but I would get a connection failure before the
connection was made. Then the network control panel read
"the cable for built in Ethernet is not plugged in" once again.

I concluded that AppleTalk could not activate fast enough for the
connection to be made.

It seemed as ling as the network control panel read
"the cable for built in Ethernet is not plugged in" AppleTalk
was not active.

It also seemed that in order to get an indication that the cable
was plugged in all the time OS 10.3.2 needed to see that the
other side was live.

As for the card I use. I use a Farralon PC card. I do not have it
accessible right
now but will post later which one I have.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html