Re: [NTLK] Newton WiFi w/ Lucent

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 06:34:58 PST

On 21-jan-04, at 15:17, Bret Feinblatt wrote:
>> Which NetGear router?
>
> MR814v2 Cable/DSL wireless.

Pity, hoped you had the MR314, quite a few on the list have that one,
including me.

>> In my experience it's easiest to start and make a wireless connection
>> over AppleTalk with NCU first, next go for ip and synching...
> Okay, sounds good. How?

In my case: make sure that you have AppleTalk active.
In Classic check both Chooser and the AppleTalk Control Panel.
In OS X check that AppleTalk in Directory Access is active and in
System preferences->Network->Buit-in Ethernet the Make AppleTalk
checkbox should be checked.

Next make sure that you have the little AppleTalk checkbox you see on
your Newt when you insert your network card checked, fire up NCU and
choose AppleTalk for the connection method in it's preferences and keep
NCU up and running.
(important, your Newt won't find the computer over AppleTalk is there
isn't something running on the other side)

in the Dock choose AppleTalk and 'Connect to: other computer', with a
bit of luck the Newt should find your Mac.
BTW, in the past people had problems with activating AppleTalk in
Classic, sometimes it's easiest to fire up in OS 9 as your startup
system first and check if it all working there and then continue in
Classic mode (so under Mac OS X)

HTH

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html