Re: [NTLK] Problem with WiFi

From: bmcewen_at_comcast.net
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 09:02:33 PST

>From: Anil <anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Problem with WiFi
>Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:08:59 +0000

>Thanks Brian,

>I see your point but what you are suggesting is to simply the leave the
>door open allowing anyone to join my Network and use my connection and
>bandwidth.

Dearest Anil;

No, that is not my point, reread the message again. I'm afraid you missed the point completely.

WEP or not, MAC address filtering or not, someone who wishes can access your network. Live with it or give up wireless.

WEP is pointless, AND it isn't working on your Newton. If you leave WEP off and turn on MAC address filtering, that will keep the general neighbor from using your bandwidth for their own surfing, and your Newton will work, both of which are your goals, right?. Anyone who wishes to sniff your traffic, can do anything they want, already, as Paul and I have said.

later,

Brian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html