Re: [NTLK] More on the weird resets

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 09:22:22 PST

As a general rule, when dealing with DC voltage, Red
(+) and Black (-) wires indicate power (orange is also
used for positive voltage).
Take a look at my Newt, in this picture (caution,
exposed Newton and bare innards...may be inappropriate
for the non-technically minded)
http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed/img0002.htm
The right side is the battery compartment. There are
two wires, red and black. Follow these and assure a
solid solder connection.
At the upper left, is the power switch. There are two
wires here as well. Red and black. Follow these and
make sure that there are no breaks anywhere. If these
look OK, then it's time to take the battery
compartment apart and check the actual battery
terminals...
Oh, and before you do any of this, check your
battery/battery tray for issues...it may be something
as simple as a piece of paper or corrosion on the
battery tray contacts!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Bret Feinblatt <bafein_at_mac.com> wrote:
> Any thoughts on where it might be loose? Or should I
> just hunt around
> with a magnifying glass?
> Not being sarcastic, here - seriously, any thoughts?
> On Thursday, January 22, 2004, at 09:37 PM, Laurent
> Daudelin wrote:
> >> To my non-expert mind, that suggests something
> with the power switch.
> >> Does this sound right? And if so, what would be
> the best solution?
> > Some solder or wire has become loose inside...
> --

=====
In 1913, Lee De Forest was prosecuted by U.S. government officials
for claiming to potential investors that his company, RCA, would soon be
able to transmit the human voice over the Atlantic Ocean. The
prosecuting officials argued that his claim was so utterly ridiculous
that he was surely ripping off investors. He was ultimately released
but not before being admonished by the judge to stop making any more
fraudulent claims.