Re: [NTLK] More on the weird resets

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 14:14:29 PST

This answers several posts on the same topic.

> Also, it seemed to do it after physical actions - inserting
> the stylus, grabbing it by the top portion, etc.
> To my non-expert mind, that suggests something with the
> power switch.

To my mind this sounds more like a problem with the battery
contact.

> And if so, what would be the best solution?

Open the Newton and unplug the power switch. The Newton will
start up after a reset without the switch if you want to
turn it on. If it is still acting up, it isn't the switch.

> Any thoughts on where it might be loose? Or should I
> just hunt around with a magnifying glass?

Better hunt around with a microscope.

> Just had a look inside - the grey battery wire is pinched

The grey wire is not a battery wire. It is the microphone wire.
There are two wires coming from the battery compartment (red and
black) that aren't battery wires either. Those two connect the
temperature resistor inside the battery pack to the mainboard. If one
or both of them were broken it wouldn't result in what you are
experiencing, but in the Newton thinking it is running off alkalines.
The battery voltage (positive and negative contacts) isn't connected
through wires. It is connected through metal parts that are soldered
into the main logic board. The negative contact is the one with the
spring. If the eject mechanism works ok, it can't be the problem.
In 9 out of 10 cases it is the positive contact that has been bent
towards the main logic board. Just bend it back a bit (towards the
battery compartment).

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html