Re: [NTLK] Problem with WiFi

From: Anil (anil_at_thisiswhatwedo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 10:13:36 PST

Hi Brian,

Thanks for you email, your time and patience are greatly appreciated.

Basically I am looking for a well though out secure strategy for using
Wi-Fi long term. I know there is no such thing as totally secure, but
you have to admit going to Wi-Fi does increase the possibilities for
security breaches on your network.

A physical connection can only be breached by actually physically
connecting to that network. Wi-Fi opens up the possibility for casual
people who think, lets see if I can hack into these Wi-Fi networks I
can see. Perhaps just for fun or the challenge, but the point is you
now have a new spectrum of people who may become interested. Because it
is easy, and anonymous they don't have to break in to a building to
make a physical connection, they can do it from their home or car.

I use the internet to make purchases, banking, lots of confidential
stuff, the details of which I do not want others to have access to. So
if I am going to implement Wi-Fi at home I want to make sure that I
have done the best I can to make myself secure as possible. Wi-Fi isn't
a fad that is going away, it is the future. So more and more people
will be going Wi-Fi, and more people are using the internet for banking
and other information sensitive services.

So the opportunities and ease that people interested in getting hold of
your confidential details goes up. I don't want to sound paranoid,
because I am not. But I don't throw away credit card statements,
because that is stupid, right? Same thing with Wi-Fi, I can see
potential vulnerabilities and can also see that I am getting very used
to this great technology. And therefore just like the internet, I will
end up using it everyday for a lot of services.

I also want it to be as flexible as possible, when a friend comes round
with their laptop, I would like them to be able to connect to my
network and check mail, or quickly send me a file using rendezvous, or
allow me to listen to music on their machine. These are some of the
great features of an Ad Hock Wi-Fi network, one of the reasons it will
become the dominant form of connectivity, in my opinion anyway, I am
sure others will differ.

So my questions have been leading and sometimes blunt because there
isn't a consensus on whether to use security let alone which forms that
security might take. Discussions of where people live, and how safe
their neighbourhood is are totally irrelevant when you are taking about
crimes that are anonymous. If you live in a city there are more people
and therefore more potential targets, a potential thief is hardly going
to go sniffing in the wilderness, no, they go some where there are a
high number of possibilities, normally built up wealthy areas.

I think I have formulated a plan from all the info I have gathered here
on the list and from doing research else where. A plan which will allow
me to get the best from my Wi-Fi network, allowing me a lot of
flexibility, but also making me as secure as possible, therefore less
of a target. Because why go for the strong in the herd when there are
so many weak ones for easy picking.

I am going to put together a PDF of how best to secure a home Wi-Fi
network, and still get the best out of it. If anyone is interested
email me directly off list and I will mail it to you when it is ready.

Many thanks to everyone for their input and viewpoints, as always you
have all been a great help.

Kindest regards

Anil K Solanki
United Kingdom, MP 2100, and now a 130 darn eBay!

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html