Re: [NTLK] my comments to a TabletPC review

From: alanshaw_at_comcast.net
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 19:21:09 PST

Mark Rollins wrote:

>If these things are selling at $2k+ then Apple is NUTS for not doing a G4
>iBook tablet, sans CD/DVD drive; with Newton handwriting, integrated WiFi
>802.11G, bluetooth, 3-4 pounds, all for $1200-$1500.
>Arrrrgh!

A friend showed me a loaner TabletPC his company got from Gateway. The coolest thing I found was that the screen wasn't touch sensitive and only responded to the stylus. That allows you to rest your hand on the screen, which is very large.

But that was the best thing. I found that the interface just wasn't user-friendly. I kept trying to use it like a Newton and my friend (who also has a Newton) kept saying "you can't do it that way." Like highlighting stuff and tapping and dragging. That doesn't work. To copy something you have to select it, then go to the File menu, select copy, etc. Just like with a mouse! Didn't Microsoft read the Newton APIs? MS seems to have taken minimal effort to make Windows work with a stylus. Way too complicated. It's still geared toward a mouse. Hopefully they'll learn. Of course, those MS haters out there hope that doesn't happen.

Alan Shaw
(Florida)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html