Re: [NTLK] I-Sun on ebay

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 19:58:44 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Gruendel
Date: Friday, January 23, 2004 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] I-Sun on ebay

> I saw this on ebay for $22 + $8 for shipping! does
> anybody else on the list use one? & is the power
> output good for the Newton?

If you can guarantee that the thing will never be
accidently switched to 12 Volt (there are ways to
kill your Newton that are much more fun), read on.
If not, forget it.

If you can guarantee that with the 6 Volt setting the
voltage will never be above the specified 7.6 Volt
for a fraction of a second, even if you are in the
Australian Outback at noon, you'll probably be on the
safe side.
-------------------------------------

Well I don't know about going above 7.6 volts even on the 6 volt setting,
but I would suggest putting either wax or hot glue on the 6/12 volt switch,
then you would never have to worry about it getting accidently triped.
Personally I will never take the risk. Unless I had some kind of regulator
inbetween the solar cell and the newton.

Another posiblity is the devices that have a battery pack built into the
solar unit. The solar cell charges the battery pack first, then you plug in
your DC device into that. Since the power is constant, that should be safe
to use.

-Dan

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html