Re: [NTLK] o/t-network administration software

From: Jesse Garnier (radiofreenewton_at_stonehopper.com)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 19:02:43 PST

I enthusiastically second Louis' (hi LAG!) recommendation of VNC. It
runs in two pieces; a "server" component, which installs on all the
machines you wish to control or view remotely, and a "client" component,
which installs on your machine and lets you connect to and control
machines remotely (provided they are running VNC and you know the password.)

It's really cool and super-easy to use and install. I use it to
troubleshoot computers for family members, as well as monitor my own
servers.

Upsides? Free, open-source, clients (and servers) available for most
platforms including Mac OS X and Newton!

Downsides? Unencrypted data transmission; needs a fast network
connection, not suitable for dial-up. (But it doesn't sound like an
issue for you.)

BTW, VNC is part of my "wow"-pack for my Newton... I demo it by logging
into my PowerBook and changing the playing song in iTunes, from my
Newton across the room! Plus people are always surprised to see the OS X
interface on my Newton screen. (And then I stream ::radiofreenewton::
for them using MAD Max...)

Cheers--

--
Jesse Garnier