Re: [NTLK] So where to (re)start?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 11:50:12 PST

On Jan 29, 2004, at 10:59 AM, Newtopia wrote:

> OK, So which PB, I'm not a Mac guy so I don't really know. I want a
> cheap
> and reliable slave to allow the Newton to use it's WiFi card to
> connect to a
> pc to allow installs and back-ups. I think I would need something
> current
> enough to get repair parts but not in the PowerPC generation? How
> about a
> general timeline with some data...
>
> Year Product OS Processor Ram
> Hdd
> 19?? PB 5300 / n.n.n OS / processor / up to mb in ram / hdd
> 19?? PB 1400 / n.n.n OS / processor / up to mb in ram / hdd
>
> So the only use for this Apple PB is to be the gateway for doing so.
> I'm not
> sure what I need to accomplish this in the way of hardware or software.

Look at Apple.com for powerbook specs. Also lowendmac.com has much
info.

Both of the above are PowerPC based 'books, but I wouldn't recommend
either it wifi is what you are hoping for as it is a pain to setup on
these.

I this an older rounded ibook would work well, as they have the WIFI
capability built in... It will be a bit more $ but worth it in my
opinion to not have to muck with older third party stuff on marginal
hardware. Plus you will be able to run OSX on an older ibook which you
can't do on the above.

Good Luck,
Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html