Re: [NTLK] GPS and maps on the Newton

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 02:41:37 PDT

I have to correct myself:
I thought it was an hardware issue (if you feed a 3.3V device with 5V it
will fry),
but in fact it is not.
The Newt provides both, 5V and 3.3V to the PCMCIA card interfaces.
Thus it is absolutely correct that if you use a card that represents itself
to be a serial interface via the PCMCIA - then it does not matter if its a
3.3V or 5V type card.
So the main thing you should check is the protocol that is supported by the
GPS card:
NMEA is fine for most of the GPS applications we have for the Newt.

Cheers
Johannes