[NTLK] AW: Upgrading Newton 2000

From: Marco Mailand (isaac_at_tele2.ch)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 12:02:57 PDT

> I recently picked up a Newton 2000 - sweet machine but was wondering
> about the upgrade to 2100 motherboard I've read about - is
> this really worth doing and what advantages might there be?
ThereŽs always different viewpoints:
1. Upgrade is good if you want to use many internet applications and surf a
lot.

2. Upgrade is bad if you need to run an application which suffers from the
-10061 bug, introduced by the memory upgrade: e.g. GPSmap and I think
GPSlite too.

> From what I read, its
> not advisable to perform the upgrade yourself, ...
It is about as complicated as installing the SER-001. YouŽll need only to
open the rear cover of the Newton, which is sometimes not very easy
especially for the first timer. Except careful handling of the fine
mechanics you should care about electrostatic discharges and prevent them as
good as possible, because the memory chip is certainly sensitive and might
be destroyed easily.

Marco