Re: [NTLK] using wireless lan on mp2100

From: Simon Stapleton (simon_at_tufty.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 12:08:22 PDT

Richard (in desperation, probably) wrote

> well i tried to get it working until 3:00 in the morning, searched the
> net can't find anything that helps, so i give up.
>
> Richard

Hi Richard.

It shouldn't be that hard, depending on what you want to do. I'm going
to assume you want to send and receive emails, browse the web, and use
escale or similar to upload packages to the newt. Here's what you
need:

Newton
Wireless Card supported by Hiroshi's driver.
Either a wireless access point or something else that will bridge your
newton to where you want to go.

Installed on the newt:

The basics to provide access to your card.
NIE 2.0 installed to provide support for ethernet devices. The basic
packages are, IIRC, inetstup.pkg, inetenbl.pkg, newtdev.pkg,
enetsup.pkg
NIE-Patch
Possibly LanternPatch and MoreWiFiCards, depending on your card
Hiroshi's driver.

These can be had from UNNA (apart from Hiroshi's driver,
<http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm>, and the patches
which are probably best grabbed from
<http://www.kallisys.com/newton/rustines/en>

Various internet software :
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saweyer/newton/newtscape.htm#other>

For docking, you need Dock TCP/IP
<http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/en>

So. the newt is ready. what next?

If we are using a static IP for the newt, pick one. It should be a
non-assigned ip on your subnet. Otherwise, set up your router / bridge
/ other to issue addresses via dhcp.

Now slap the card into the newt. If all is well, a little slip will
pop up showing your card has been recognised, and asking if you want to
use it for appletalk. I'm gonna ignore appletalk here, so leave that
bit unchecked.

There is a handily named 'setup' button. tap it. This is where we set
the mode of the card, ssid and wep information. I use infrastructure
mode with mine, and nothing else checked. You can have one of these
setups per worksite. (edited via the 'owner info' slip)

Now go to Internet Setup (somewhere in extras)
Make a new generic setup.
It should connect using ethernet. Give it some sort of reasonable
name, and select your card. If you're using dhcp, select that,
otherwise select manual. Duh. If you're doing a manual setup, you
_will_ need to give the newt a good nameserver if you intend to do
anything other than install packages.
Give it a domain name. the name of your ISP is a good choice.

You can create as many of these as you want, and switch between them.
this is good for when you're on different networks. You can, of
course, assign a default one to each worksite.

This is enough to be able to get on the net. You will need to
configure the software you use to get on the 'net of course, email
sotware tends to be set up in the 'owner info' slip.

for docking, you're going to need to configure Dock TCP/IP. Fire up
the dock. connect via TCP/IP. Prefs. use a manual setting, enter the
ip of the machine you wish to connect to, leave the port at 3679. Or
use zeroconf. Either way, the 'link' should be set to the internet
setup we created earlier.

things to watch out for are that the access point (especially if it's a
computer) isn't firewalling port 3679, that you have good dns settings,
that you have a good ip _on your local subnet_ (I once spent ages
trying to debug a problem where a machine had an IP of 192.168.0.x and
the local subnet was 192.168.1.x ;-)

Much of this information was culled from the Newton FAQ
<http://www.splorp.com/newton/faq/>, my own newton, and various other
tidbits I've picked up from the list. A handy place to search is the
marc archives of newtontalk, which provides a nice (if rather 'black'
for my tastes) searchable interface to the list archives
<http://marc.10east.com/?l=newtontalk&r=1&w=2

Sleep well, and have fun.

Simon

--
AppleCare.  Now _there's_ an oxymoron for you.