Re: [NTLK] [OT] Jackito

From: Jared Bland (jrbm689_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 06:41:12 PDT

On Jul 13, 2004, at 9:06 AM, George Bingham wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> While slashdotting, I came across this which may be of interest to
> Newtoneers...
>
> http://www.jackito-pda.com/
>
> It's a new "Tactile Digital Assitant" (TDA). What's interesting
> about it is that it appears to be a unique entry in the pda market. It
> uses 7 processors and it's own OS. Not much beyond marketingeze on
> this website, but will be interesting to see what if anything develops
> from it.

$600 and, from poking around the site, it has nothing the Newton
doesn't already have!

The dual-thumb-driven display only allows ONE thumb at a time. It's
"drag" ability is just what you would do on a trackpad (hold finger
down on trackpad with icon selected and put another finger on the
trackpad to move the icon - then release the first one). You can't use
it in a portrait mode, which some enjoy - as well. There is no ability
for a stylus input, no HWR and the virtual "keyboard" is letters
arranged from A-Z,

e.g.:
a b c d e f g h i
j k l m n o p q r
s t u v w x y z (various command buttons),

I don't think it's more than a
niche (100% Proprietary, Underpowered, Overpriced),
within a niche (non-Palm or Pocket PC) ,
within a niche (PDA Market) product.

With its 7 "low frequency" processors "for longer battery life [1 AA]"
I doubt Jackito can wrangle up much 3rd-party developer support.

Like I said before, it's a niche^3 and, IMO, will never take off to
even the extent of the Newton.

Too bad...
Jared