[NTLK] Back On The Saddle Again

From: Steve Dockery (sdockery_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 18:27:03 PDT

Hi Folks-

For a while there I stopped using my Newton. Just too many things to
lug back and forth to work (I'm carrying a Powerbook back and forth, as
it's my work and home machine), and too many things to keep track of in
my life these days. It just fell through the cracks.

Then the other day I found a Handspring Visor at work that nobody was
using. So I set it up to play with it, see what it was like.

Argh. There's nothing to make you love your Newton like some poor
little simple-minded Palm 3 device. The most pathetic thing of all is
having no way to preserve the contents of memory if the batteries
croak! And Grafitti works great, if you remember how IT wants you to
write, and you write in that little box.

I got out my MP2100 and popped in some fresh AA batteries. Yep,
everything's still there (of course). Handwrote some stuff, almost
perfect handwriting recognition, and I can write anywhere. Fired up a
couple of games and played them on the subway on the way to work. Began
using TimeCards on the Newt to keep track of my time at work. Started
downloading all the new stuff (Escale, etc.) and I'm way back into it
again. I'd forgotten just how incredibly cool this thing is.

I don't know why I left you, my beloved Newt, can you ever forgive me?

-Steve

P.S. - tried to play Solo Deluxe, and it won't let me drag cards
anywhere, it's not working right. If I double-click on an Ace, it'll
pop up into its place, but nothing else works. Jig is working great,
however.