Re: [NTLK] Orinoco Gold WiFi PC-card

From: Berthe M. Willumsen (bmw_at_biobase.dk)
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 09:29:45 PDT

  On Jun 20, 2004, at 1:53 PM, Douglas Augustyn wrote:
> I know what card you are talking about, I have one myself.. It works
> fine for everything. I haven't tried WEP on it yet, but If someone has
> some problems, I can try it.
>
> The orinoco silvers are the same card, even physically, it's just a
> matter of a firmware-flash to turn them into a gold

Doug, the reference you gave says

"Question: What is the difference between the Gold and Silver Orinoco cards?
Answer: The Silver model provides 64-bit WEP encryption while the
Gold card provides 128-bit WEP encryption. Other than that the cards
are identical."

Does this mean the cards are dedicated to one type of encryption only?

Will it explain why my (gold) card will not work with 40 WEP but will
with 128 WEP (with Hiroshis driver) on our 128WEP encrypted network
(Airport Snow)?
- and does it explain why my daughters Silver card will not work (in
her thinkpad) on our network even if I allow for the Silvers MAC
address, and set up a (location) on her thinkpad with the correct
encryption string - but the Silver will on her own (40 WEP
encrypted, Airport Extreme) network?

d'think?

--
Berthe