Re: [NTLK] Steve Jobs(Was: Re: Steve Jobs Interview)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 22:14:01 PDT

On Jul 20, 2004, at 4:07 AM, Stephen Wolfson wrote:

> Some valid points, but one you glossed over, the success or failure
> of the Newton would not be a big financial issue as the Newton
> was originally set to be spun off to live or die on its own. Now
> its success or failure would certainly still be attributed to Apple
> in the minds of the industry and perhaps consumers. Steve Jobs doesn't
> like to lose and the Newton wasn't his vision. I think there's more
> than
> just dollars at work here.

Yes, but a couple of points you may not have considered.

1. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of Apple, their losses would have
sucked money from Apple, and
2. The technology that made up the Newton was too valuable to let it go
as a separate entity.

Frankly, I think that Jobs viewed Newton the same way that Mr. Potter
viewed George Barkley, "worth more dead than alive." So, spinning it
off was not a good solution, nor was keeping it alive. The best
solution for Apple was a quick, painful, timely death.

As I've always stated, my complaints are more along the line of _how_
Apple killed the Newton than anything else.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland