[NTLK] Can't get battery out

From: Mike Matthews (mike920_at_pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 22:15:12 PDT

All:

Today I was recharging my Newton 2100's batteries and when I touched
it, a brief shock ensued, and the Newton reset itself.

This happens occasionally from the static electric build-up from my
office rug. After the reset, the data card was not recognized. I
powered off and on a couple of times to no avail. Tried the reset
button and now the Newton won't power on, either with battery only or
via power cord.

I put the data card in a backup Newton and the data is still there
(luckily). [Also luckily, I had just backed up the internal data to a
separate card when the problem occurred.]

I swapped the battery from the dead Newton into the backup Newton and
the battery is full charged and powers on the backup Newton just fine.

So, it looks like the problem is with the Newton itself. I'd like to
try the system reset--but the battery in the dead Newton won't eject.
The latch seems to be fine, but the battery won't spring out.

Anyone know how to solve this? I'm not even sure I can open the case
without taking the battery out first.

Thanks,
mm