Re: [NTLK] Apple PDA dreams

From: Dirk Hornbeck (dirk_at_retrofantasy.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 14:02:15 PDT

Being familiar with Apple's past history, and since reading the posts here plus
hearing Steve Jobs recent reference to a cancelled released Apple PDA, if been
pondering it's feasibility for some time. And last night, my thoughts coalesced
and I had a dream wherein it became clear what will happen:

As mentioned in recent posts, Apple has had a huge success with the iPod and it
is the #1 music player in the world now. I think a future PDA was in their plans
when they chose the name "iPod" as it is non-specific in it's application or
use. I expect that the company wants to selling X amount more (millions?) units
before release the large screen 5th (or 6th) generation iPod.

That n 5th (or 6th) generation iPod will closely resemble the current white iPod
having a job wheel (click wheel) on one end, adjacent to a large "Newton-sized"
LCD, an expansion port (either PCMCIA or Apple propriety slot), a clever styles,
and Firewire/USB 2 connectivity, printing support and all the rest that we long
for, while keeping a keen focus on the music player and .Mac support.

You'll be able to back up your OS X "Home" directory, and through Fast User
Switching be able to boot-on-the-fly your user log-in on any Mac OS X computer.
Set up your user pref's once, and take your computing environment with you to
work, same desktop picture, icons, bookmarks, etc.

Then after two short generations of the PDA iPod, a color screen. This will
coincide with an expansion of the iTunes store to include on-demand video,
wherein you can download movies and play them on your computer or iPod. Since
that capability it so integral to their plans, that if the current unreleased
PDA iPod doesn't have enough forward compatibility, then it's understandible
that it wouldn't be released now solely on it's PDA merits.

That was my dream. Founded on nothing but my research and observances of past
behavior. And with that...here's a grain of salt.