Re: [NTLK] Another keyboard question

From: karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 01:39:36 PDT

Jesse Garnier wrote:

> Oooh, dunno... You've of course seen mini-USB keyboards, right? Not as
> cool as our Newton keyboard, but they're out there. Here's one for US$19:
>
> http://lin.kz/?6tni1
>
> It includes two USB ports too, which might help compensate for taking
> the only USB port in your Fujitsu 3400.
>
> The same keyboard also comes in a luminescent model:
>
> http://lin.kz/?n623x

Yes, but I'm cheap. :)

Anyhooo, I've already got a USB keyboard, a rather nice IBM one with
trackpoint (came with the Stylistic) and two free ports. It's just
that the Newton keyboard is about half the size of the IBM clunker
(which, incidentally and remarkably) is a lot quieter than the Newton
clatterplate!) and sometimes size _does_ matter. The lack of function
keys can easily be remedied with an on-screen keyboard.

Still, it's no biggie: I'm practically always packing the Newts when
on the road. I just thought I'd ask, that's all.

Incidentally, am I allowed to sing praise to the marvelous (though
expensive) piece of Windows software that is PhatWare's PenOffice?
After using it for two months, it has become almost as good as my
Newtons in recognizing my handwriting.

At the same time (and on the other hand) PenOffice has made me
appreciate the userfriendliness of NoewtonOS even more, because
although I can do handwriting in Windows, it certainly is not
pen-orientated or even -friendly.

If anyone ever takes up the old challenge of
porting/reverse-engineering the NewtonOS to Intel hardware, they will
not only have at least one guaranteed customer, but a stack of ready
hardware lying in wait as well.

Karel Jansens