Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie: Some initial impressions, experiences (and perhaps even recommendations)

From: Dan Jones (dan_at_jonesonline.us)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 08:54:25 PDT

In early '95, a friend mentioned that MacConnection was selling MP100's for
$99. I figured it would at least be a quirky thing on my coffee table. Who
knew?! I've been a NewtEvangelist ever since. I wore that one out and
briefly had a 130 before getting my 2k in mid-'97. I couldn't bear to let
my 2k out of my hands for any time so I missed out on Apple's 2k to 2k1
upgrades. Fortunately, I just found J&K Sales who sent me a 2k1
motherboard this week. Wahoo! Installing it was not nearly as diff as I
thought it would be (CompSci and computer exp dating back to pre-pc
mainframes days). Good directions from here
(http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html) on how to take it apart and
put it all back were spot on. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner! I
would have saved my reset button a ton of use. :) My newt's been with me
while flying all over North America, the cold barrens of eastern Wyoming,
the hot Utah desert, windy/snowy atop Colorado Mtns, the occasional splash
while sailing on the east coast, even a car accident (totaled my Honda but
the Newt and I were fine).

I've thought about replacing the case but I think the nearly worn off
lettering and krazy glued crack show its character.

> Until then, a half-way house would be a set of boiled-down
> instructions for getting different things working. I know this can be
> a bit complex, as it seems there's a lot of product-specific detail
> involved with things such as different WiFi cards.

This seems like a great idea. Maybe a database of wireless card, driver &
base solutions.

My solution has been easy (the win98 part aside) and robust.
Newt: 2000 & 2100
Card: WaveLAN Turbo Silver 802.11b
Driver: Hiroshi Noguchi LucentWaveLAN v1.08a
(http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm),
                         NIE 2.0,
                         NIE Patch v4 (www.kallisys.com)
Router/Base: SMC Barricade Turbo Router

Notes:
With the driver and newt NIE parts installed, the card was recognized and
working upon insertion. :) Truly no sweat.
The driver/card works fine with 64bit WEP (upper/lower case keys) 128k
seemed flaky but I'll test some more.
DHCP tested perfectly with Newton and SMC for a broadband connection, but
I'm currently stuck with dial-up so... Static addresses because the Win98
Proxy server (ComTun v4.5a) won't seem to serve DHCP through the router
(even when the router's DHCP server is off) to wireless clients. Not a big
deal. The proxy server does have its good points. Very easy to set up,
dial on demand, requires no special set up on client systems (works on any
tcp/ip configured system), NAT, and it has an OK firewall.

I'd be happy to give more detailed steps.