Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie: Some initial impressions, experiences (and perhaps even recommendations)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 14:15:05 PDT

--- Nowhere Man <nowhereman77_at_mac.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 29, 2004, at 02:09PM, Martin
> Howard <mvhoward_at_mac.com> wrote:
>
> >I've quickly discovered that while the Newton
> certainly does live on,
> >it's
> >much more of a tinkerer's and hacker's device than
> the currently
> >available,
> >mass-market PDAs. Yes, it does to WiFi, it does do
> Bluetooth, but
<snip>
> If you're in the market for a car and you just want
> to turn the key and drive, you don't go out and buy
> a classic hot rod. You buy a brand new Honda. If, on
> the other hand, you love cars and you enjoy getting
> under the hood and getting your hands dirty, you
> would much rather own a '66 Mustang. Not in spite of
> the fact that you have to devote lots of TLC to, but
> _because_ of that very fact. The same applies in
> this case.

And you can take the analogy one step further.
Not only are you buying a hotrod, but you are also
attempting to retrofit a computer controlled fuel
injection system and a CVT Transmission (yes, I know
that that final "T" stands for "Transmission", but it
didn't sound right is I didn't include the word
"Transmisison")
These two things were unheard of in 1966 (yeah, I know
there was FI back in '66, but not COMPUTER controlled
FI)
But yet, the same thing is occuring on the Newt!
Technology that wasn't even a glimmer when the Newton
was discontinued is now working flawlessly!
And unlike you, I popped in a wireless card, installed
Hiroshi's (purchased) software, and I had instant
connectivity (granted, I had all the networking
drivers already installed and working). I don't have
any bluetooth things, so I don't know about Blunt...

Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin