Re: [NTLK] removing little screws (drilling)

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 15:08:06 PDT

On Jun 2, 2004, at 7:17 AM, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> I was working on my other eMate last night and
> stripped one of the motherboard screws. D'oh! I felt **really**
> dumb. Those
> factory-set screws are really tough to get out the first time around.
> wasn't paying attention for a second and munged it.

The other bummer about this, is that generally the bits are more
fragile then the screws... Go look at your bit/driver and you'll see
you probably botched that a bit (pun intended) also.

My tips for turning these:

1) relax
2) Think about applying the force from your bit/driver directly down
into the screw head. You don't usually need to push vary hard(just
maintaining contact), as the condition of your bits/drivers/screwheads
get worse, you need to push harder to stay where you need to be...
3) Keep the tool perpendicular (square) to the fastener...
4) Turn!

Also, with cupped headed fasteners like these (or phillips) you can
sometimes use other tools (like the hex wrench someone else mentioned)
and remove the fastener. Also, a flat blade that is just slightly
wider then torx bit can sometimes be used.

Drilling is also not a big deal since the cup shape of the screw head
keeps the drill where you want it. Not like drilling out a broken bold
from and engine block... Right Ed?

marty