[NTLK] CF card with ATA support & SimpleMail

From: Thomas A Isenbarger (isen_at_plantpath.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 08:03:39 PDT

I have recently registered my ATA support for a Kingston 128 MB CF
card. Previously, I had been only browsing my SimpleMail in InOut, but
since I had all this extra space I decided to download it all. That
took some time (about an hour), which is not surprising to me.
However, after all the mail was downloaded, selecting items was very
slow (I had to wait about a minute between making checkmarks) and then
when I selected Delete in the Action menu, it took about 5 minutes for
the delete action to complete. Is this due to the size of the card? I
only put one partition on it; would it help to partition it into
smaller parts? I had aimed to keep my pkgs on the Internal store and
keep data on the card, but should I reverse this for speed's sake (keep
pkgs on a card and data on the internal)? Any other tips for speeding
things up? (besides not downloading all my mail. . .i have already
decided to go back to browse mode.

on another related question, the reason I switched from using browse
mode in SimpleMail to downloading my messages was because after I had
all the authors and subjects, etc., on the Newton, after I disconnected
they all disappeared. Is there a way in SimpleMail to have all the
headers on the Newton and then be able to disconnect? Then, if I
select a mail to read the Newton could reconnect to the net to download
the content of that one message.

Thanks,
Tom Isenbarger

--