Re: [NTLK] Handlebar mount?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 14:56:47 PDT

I don't have anything constructive to give you, but it
does remind me of something I saw at a tradeshow back
in '98.
It was at a Wireless World (I think) tradeshow in
Atlanta.
There was a California city (San Francisco?) that was
using Trek mountain bikes with a MP2000 mounted on the
handle bars with a spare powersystem built into the
mount. There was an AT&T CDPD modem connected to the
Dongle sticking out of the MP2000. There was a memory
card and (in hind-site, I know was it is, but back
then, I didn't) in the other slot a serial card of
some sort that was connected to a GPS system. At the
time, I was using either Wynd or DTS as my wireless
connection, so I was only interested in the CDPD
portion of this rig.
I managed to get the information from the officer
showing the whole thing, and pulling some strings, got
the specs for the CDPD system. We tried to replicate
this in house, but had extreme difficulty with the
availablity of CDPD in our area (northern VA)
But, the bike mount was really sweet if I can
remember. It looked like a form-fitting cradle with a
built-in pocket for what were either "C" or "D" cells
(I can't remember...it's been a loooong time). The
Newton sat in the cradle backwards (the dongle port
pointing to the rider) and a power plug coming out of
it. The Newton was fastened to the rig with two velcro
straps.
The whole rig looked quite professional and not
something rigged up in a basement.
Unfortunatly, when I left that company, all my notes
and information stayed behind...(it was a Mac
environment and I was going to an NT environment...and
I couldn't waste the time figuring how to port
QuickCard to a Windows solution)
Ed
web/gadget guru.

--- Donald <marchie_at_donaldwilson.info> wrote:
> I'm looking to use my MP130 w/ my new SportTrak Pro
> GPS unit on my
> Moped. I MIGHT think about using my 2100, but I'd
> rather use the 130.
>
> does anyone have suggestions for mounting the Newt
> on handlebars?
>
> ~Donald
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles:
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin