Re: [NTLK] Fwd: ericsson + IRDA

From: Till (till_k_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 14:31:45 PDT

Am 06. Jun 2004 um 20:54 Uhr schrieb Edmund Blackadder:

>>> mmm, so my other solutions are?? Getting a data cable for my mobile?
>>>

>> Yes, but you would also need an adapter from DB9 to Mini-DIN8 (PC
>> serial to Mac serial) and a serial dongle (if you don't have a
>> SER001).
>> Bluetooth is another option, PCMCIA cards that work with the Newton
>> are
>> considerably easier to get (and cheaper) than a data cable from Sony
>> Ericsson. Also, Bluetooth beats IrDA and cables hands down regarding
>> ease of use.
>>

> I already have all the cables and dongles. (And SER board too!!)

Then you should go that route if it's not too much of a hassle. It is
guaranteed to work :) And you don't need extra equipment.

> Connection with bluetooth will be more stable than with IrDA?

Well, since I never really used IrDA beyond testing (I couldn't get it
to work with GPRS, so I ditched it in the end), I cannot comment on
that. In my experience, IrDA connections tend to be pretty stable if
the two devices are correctly aligned and there is no direct sunlight.
OTOH, I never lost a Bluetooth connection... the drawback with
Bluetooth is that one PCMCIA slot is occupied. And battery drain is
higher, I assume.

Cheers
Till