Re: [NTLK] Please help a "beginner"

From: Berthe M. Willumsen (bmw_at_biobase.dk)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 07:40:29 PDT

>Hi! I've just joined the list in hopes of receiving some advice on
>returning to the world of the Newton.

Welcome to the list, David

>I had an MP 120 several years
>ago, though I never really made full use of it, but from the things
>I've been reading lately, I want to give it another try.
> From what I've read, I'm considering upgrading to the 2X00 series,
>which it sounds like better supports wireless connection, etc.

Yes, that would be necessary

>I'm wanting to use it with a iMac running Panther. What's the best way
>of connecting the two (Serial port adapter, wireless, ethernet, etc.)?

People do many different things, and have problems with different things.
For wireless, try to look at http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/WiFi
and see if it addresses your wifi questions.

>If I get a 2X00, would I need to get the serial port adapter at first
>to install drivers for other connectivity methods, or is there a way to
>get around that now?

That is called the bootstrapping question. That is also describes on
wikiwikiNewt
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/WiFi

>Sorry for the beginning questions. I've been trying to do some
>background reading, but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing
>anything important.

Sure, David, we will be happy to help, but since we all do things
differently, we don't feel comfortabe saying 'this is THE way to do
it'.
You'll get much more useful answers to a specific question....

Good luck

--
Berthe
Denmark, MP2100