Re: [NTLK] Retrieving data off Newton

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 12:23:59 PDT

>on 6/19/04 12:00 PM, Rod Lavington at lavo_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>> Or, will switching a Newton that has had a flat battery remove all the
dates
>> from the datebook?
>
>Nope. Your data is safe... The Newt is not a Palm. ;-)

Definitly ;) Even with the older models (110, 120, 130) there is a backup
battery that will hold data for months without the main batteries. So there
is really not any risk of loosing your data. I have even heard of people
pulling out a 120 that had been in a drawer for 2 years, put new AA's in and
it fired up with all his data still intact. I would not trust it that long
(he didn't either, was just courious), but it just goes to show that the
backup battery can retain the data for a LONG time.

Considering that backup battery method has been in use for so long, it
really makes one wonder WHY IN THE WORLD would PDA makers do anything else?
It is not rocket science to add a backup battery into the design so if the
main dies you don't have a "blackout" (as Palm users call it) and loose all
your data. Especially since it was done that way in the beginning.

-Dan