Re: [NTLK] My newton desn't start

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 20:08:50 PDT

*snip*
>I now wonder if having drained the Newton *totally* after what may
>perhaps have been a failure of the Mains Adapter, might have caused
>some problem with the PMU. I also recall, that when I initially tried
>to revive my Newton, a couple of years back, someone on a newsgroup
>somewhere, told me that they had left theirs in a drawer for a long
>time and that it too had come back to life. Could it be that there is
>some sort of Cold Boot thing that happens when it is left without
>batteries for a long time?
>
>Anyway ... my advice is to try every kind of Reset you can, including
>the Cold Boot, which incidentally, I have *not* managed to do
>successfully on my machine, despite trying on several occasions.

Well anything after a couple of hours without power for a MP2x00 will cause
what you call a "cold boot". Bascially a "cold boot" happens when the super
capacator has lost its charge which holds the time, date and pen calibration
information (everything else is in flash memory and not power dependant).
However this should not make the "do you want to erase all information"
question come up, this alone means that something else is going on.

The "letting it sit without power" has fixed many strange problems from the
OMP on up (although with those units you have to remove the backup battery
as well as the main batteries). But I have never heard of a instance it
fixing a unit damaged via bad power supply (at least till now).

As to why your Newt suddenly started working (with the problem described
before), I have no idea very unusual for sure. I wouldn't trust that unit
until you test it for some time to make sure it is working 100% If after
all the tests it is working fine, time to count your blessings. :)

-Dan

P.S. When you hit the reset buttion on the back it also reset the PMU.