Re: [NTLK] Ethernet woes (long)

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 00:31:54 PDT

Mark,

I am pretty sure that your problem is in the area between driver and card:
If I go to Settings / Prefs / AppleTalk to the card selection I get 3
choices:
3com3C585 PC card
3com3C589D PC card
Farallon Enet PC card
Since I have a 3com3C589D it works as supposed.
Even if you are disconnected from a router / hub / switch the LED on the
plug to the card will lit up shortly as soon as you try to establish a
connection (e.g. after tapping connect in the Dock application).
In case the router / hub / switch is properly connected and runnig, the LED
will stay on until you stop the connection (e.g. cancel the Dock application
while searching for a Mac)
In case you have connected a Mac and NCU is up and running (and ONLY then)
the Dock application will be able to find your Mac and connect to NCU.

Having sayed that, I vaguely remember that there was an important difference
between the 3com3C589C and 3com3C589D -> namely that the 3C589C does not
work int the Newt.
Maybe there is anybody on the list who can prove the contrary, but I do not
believe so.

Sorry for that but it should be possible to get a 3C589D card for a decent
price.

Cheers
Johannes