Re: [NTLK] Frozen Newton Project Rebirth?! :)

From: L A GREEN (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 06:38:34 PDT

OK I guess the range depends on a few things besides the actual case. who here is going to take apart newtons for those of us not willing to totally dissasemble their newts and put it in the new case and how much will this cost? we cant have someone rebuilding newtons for free. now i know frank can and will but then i have to figure in the cost to ship it to and from him. now the next thing is what happens if its put in the new case and it doesnt work correctly? one of my fears about opening my newt now. so lets say its done for $50 to swap the case (i would want mine returned to me afterwards just in case) lets say $20 s/h both ways to the person if they are stateside, more if its goin to frank. then there is the time without the newton lets say a 2 weeks, longer if its goin to frank and his crazy postal lady. apologies for using frank for the example but he is mr fix it and perfect for this example. so we have $70-100 before we even get into the actual case and lets
  range
 the cases at $175 -250. that is $245-350 for the entire process and 2 wks without a newton. yes i know most of us have backup newts but not everyone does. so for some of us that is a valid and worthwhile cost to a make our newtons shine even more when we take them out in public. but it is a hefty cost for some. i would be willing to order a case once i knew who was doing case swaps and the cost involved and if i knew it would have a fast turnaround. if i would have to do it myself then i wouldnt order it. i know i can do it myself but just like when i owned my motorcylce i took it to the pros to have them change oil, brake pads and tires. i just feel more comfortable letting someone who has done this before do it rather then take a chance and mess up myself.

hth,

LAG

Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
There are so many variables, money, pieces to replicate, fabrication
method.... on and on...

Please input everyone, positive and negative input can be helpful, just
consider what your trying to draw light upon. I'm in need of advice and
positive criticism...in case I am not seeing a problem - this way the
project will have a better chance of being completed and some of you and I
will have a way cool case to house our Newts in...