Re: [NTLK] recommended version of escale for X.3?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 09:54:00 PDT

Aux environs du 29/06/04 ā 18:45 +0200, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
recommended version of escale for X.3?", Simon Stapleton prit sa plus
belle plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
> > From: Andrew Beals <bandy_at_cinnamon.com>
>>
>> What's the current recommended version (i.e. it works) of escale
>> for those of us running Jaguar and Appletalk over Ether? 1.0.1,
>> the official version (5/3 build date) has the -28mumblety problem
>> where it won't sync. More recent revisions from the nightlys just
>> connect then disconnect as if they were successful.
>
>Not sure, I have a build from (very recent) cvs that seems to work
>reasonably well. It will only connect if _one and only one_ transport
>is selected and it seems to be a bit picky, but it's getting there. I
>can send you a copy offlist of you like.

CVS versions are what nightly build versions.
There are at least four different versions of Escale.
- the version on your hard drive.
- the version on Nicolas' hard drive.
- the version on my hard drive.
- the version on CVS (which is built nightly).

:)

Nightly builds are available here:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/nightlies/

>I'm not sure if it syncs correctly. syncing seems suspiciously fast,
>even considering it's being done over 802.11b. Paul?

Synchronization is disabled until further notice.
I mean, the synchronization framework is invoked but without any
source (hence it's very fast). This is also why it seems successful.
Escale really tells the Newton it's going to synchronize.

>However, package install works pretty much 100%

Good to hear about this.
I suspect AppleTalk code to be horribly buggy. Nicolas has been working on it.

We have design problems with AppleTalk (as usual) because MacOS X
ADSP code is not thread safe and it took us time to find it out and I
did cook something to work around it but it's complex and dirty.

Another problem is that AppleTalk doesn't work over Airport Extreme
base stations and that's what I have.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/