Re: [NTLK] Newton goes to War! er, Peace! er, Whatever!

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 00:40:39 PST

Just what sort of timeline or deadline do we have for compiling as much
of this info as possible?
For this response I doubt I'll have full answers for anything - and
probably many questions to help elucidate your requirements - but here
goes anyhow (I hope others can use what I give as jumping off points,
to elaborate upon with more detailed info):
On Mar 3, 2004, at 12:20 AM, Edward Johnson wrote:
> Newton is going on a looonnnggg trip, to a hot place. It is going
> need certain funtionalities, both in software and hardware, in order to
> be really useful, and braggable.

Which newton do you have? This will greatly affect your options. I'll
be assuming a 2.1 device (emate, 2x00) for now.

> MUST HAVES
>
> 1 Able to reliably sync w/ powerbook running OS 10.2.8 or 10.3,
> reccommendations on which OS appreciated.

I've used newtsync in 10.3 to backup notes, sync dates with iCal, and
names with Address book, I wish I could suggest this as a foolproof
matchup, but for some reason iCal insists on putting dates transferrred
TO it from the newton one month ahead of where they should be - and
names syncing from Address book was spotty (sometimes failing or not
syncing ALL items).

There are known problems (and supposed workarounds) for Newtsync and
iCal 1.5.2 - but in light of everything above I'd suggest sticking to
iCal 1.5.1 (or another calendar app) in 10.2.8.

> 2 Two ways (software-wise) to reliably network to pc's in order to
> transfer packages. Wired and Wireless.

I believe there are equivalents of NCU or NTK for PCs which will sync
via serial cables or infrared to transfer packages - as I don't use a
pc I can't say much.

> 4 A way to import PDF's that is not convoluted or is scriptable. No,
> don't know anything about scripting.

Regarding this - will you have internet access wherever you are? I've
heard people suggest using a google (?) feature that will turn PDF's
into html - viewable with Newtscape or Nethopper. I can't remember if
Adobe or Acrobat readers for os X will let you highlight text and copy
it to the clipboard - but if they do I'd just do that to get it into a
text file you could email yourself - and then open from the newton (or
tranfer by other means). If you won't have internet access - but would
have wireless or ethernet networking between your powerbook you can
have it run an smtp server (sendmail for pre-10.3 machines, something
else for panther I forget what it was they changed it to) that the
newton could connect to in order to receive these emails without
needing true internet access.

> 5 Invertor from 12vdc to 110vac, and 24vdc to 110vac for power
> adaptor.

Automotive stores or radio shacks should have 12vdc to 110vac adaptors
you could pick up for cheap (I've got a 200 watt Coleman brand unit I
picked up for 30 bucks at a Fry's electronics), I believe similar
commercial products for going from 24vdc to house current are available
- but may be harder to find.

These generally come with plugs for connecting to cigarrette lighters
in cars - but with a little wire and some electrical tape you could
adapt them to connect to whatever power source you have available.

> 6
>
> NICE TO HAVE
>
> 1 A way to transfer docs to/from Palm OS Devices/Windows CE Devices.

Utilizing Backtalk (which may require a copy of itself to be ON the
palm/ windowsce device to use) you should be able to communicate text
and names data (maybe dates?) via infrared, using the OBEX protocal.

Neo/Nitro and the V/C card converter packages should allow you to do
the same sorts of things(again via ir obex), and may not require the
other user to run additional software. With these three packages
installed on your newton, the routing button in most apps should gain a
couple of options: tcpObex and irObex - I think that one would set the
palm/windowsCE device into a 'receive' mode - then select the item you
want to send from the newton and choose irObex to beam it to them.

> 2 Extended Duration Battery pack, you know, the big one.

Are we looking for a commercial item? I'm not certain if any exist -
but the amperage and voltage requirements should be available for all
the newtons.

It wouldn't be too difficult to gather a bunch of AA batteries, and
some battery holders from an electronic parts source (radio shack,
online) and wire em up so the voltage matches requirements - but
supplying too many amps to the newton (thus frying it) would be
something to worry about.

In all seriousness you might be better off getting a AA battery tray
for your newton - and taking a bunch of AA batteries (or a few sets of
rechargeables) with you.