Re: [NTLK] best ways to type foreign accents

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 06:04:56 PST

on 04/03/04 08:37, Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes at
marcus.magalhaes_at_vlinfo.com.br wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> My girlfriend will be using my MP 2k for a while in a field research
> (a notebook is too heavy). I've writtem most (if not all) docs in
> English, but she'll need a better/quicker/easier way to type foreign
> (western european) characters and accents.
>
> I've searched the net for a while, discovered some programs that could
> help, but it appears that none of them have the desired functionality
> she'll need:
>
> simple, dead key-like, way to input accented letters via attached
> keybord or by switching the default on-screen keyboard.
>
> Can anyone share some experience on this subject? I'm pretty sure that
> my girlfriend will be *really* bored by typing a few paragraphs with
> the default option-key_combo method, and, besides, I can't guarantee
> all characters will be there.
>
> As a programmer, I'm willing to write a new app, if necessary... Any
> advice or known similar source code to start with?
>
> I also tried a package called Int'l Keyboard, but a error occurred when
> installing, the default on-screen keyboard died after that and I had to
> restore a recemt backup. 8-(
>
> Any advice would be thankful.

I you use printing handwriting, the recognition engine can recognize most
accented characters.

-Laurent.

benchmark n.: [techspeak] An inaccurate measure of computer performance. "In
the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and
benchmarks." Well-known ones include Whetstone, Dhrystone, Rhealstone (see
h), the Gabriel LISP benchmarks (see gabriel), the SPECmark suite, and
LINPACK. See also machoflops, MIPS, smoke and mirrors.