Re: [NTLK] [OT] American Poutine?!

From: Eric Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 18:47:58 PST

On Thursday, March 4, 2004, at 01:19 AM, Jared Bland wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2004, at 1:19 AM, Chris Chapman wrote:
>
>> Well, I tried the "Animal Style" fries at In and Out burger today,
>> it's gotta be American poutine.
>>
>> French Fries with Melted Cheese, grilled onions and thousand island
>> dressing.. soo good but soo bad..
>>
>> Just thought i'd share..
>
> I have a similar story to share.
>
> When I was 6 or so, I eat at McDonalds. Now I am a vegetarian.

First, what part of the country is served by the "In and Out" chain?
(I've not heard of it in the DC area, for example.)

Second, for Jared's "benefit" I'll share a bumper sticker that's
apparently becoming popular... "Save a cow, eat a vegetarian!" ;-)

Third, outside DC there's a place called the Vienna Inn. (They had a
fire a while back, but I think they reopened...) You eat dogs & fries
there, but we're talking SERIOUS chili dogs & cheese fries, the kind
that make one of those 'blooming onion' things seem like a low cal diet
snack for a supermodel! The point being that the last time I was there
(probably 13 years!, I just haven't had a chance to get back), I had
the full cheese fries w/ gravy. The 'gravy' is produced from the
drippings from the ground beef used to make the chili for the dogs, so
it has the occasional piece of ground beef in it. If that's even
remotely like poutine, then a) I like poutine and b) all of Quebec
above the age of about 30 must have to make annual appointments for
bypass surgery! ;-)

- Eric.

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat???