Re: [NTLK] Totally insane 300 MHz on Newtons? [was Re: Hardware question (crazy)]

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 23:54:20 PST

>> 300 mhz in an emate... ZOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOM! :]
> cost? Are they for individual sale? And would it be worth it
> (specifically, what would be "faster", since HWR and interpretation is
> very fast in the MP2x00 series)?

   *If* it could be done, probably everything would be faster. But I
have no idea whether Voyager would play nice (although does eMate use
Voyager?) Memory access especially could be dicey - I've read that
memory access on the Newton take 7 cycles (don't know where I read that
though - it may be wrong..). Although with a processor about 60%
faster, some things would get *pretty* fast - like highlighting text,
scrolling, etc.

Jim Witte
jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us
Indiana University CS