Re: [NTLK] Newton goes to War! er, Peace! er, Whatever!

From: Alan Davis (mdawd_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 10:26:24 PST

I wish you could say you were the first ;-)
Me and my Newton 2100 crossed the berm in mid March of last year. Wish I'd
gotten pictures for the Newts around the world database. ;-)

On 03/03/04 1:20 AM, "Edward Johnson" <radar9999_at_aol.com> wrote:

> Newton is going on a looonnnggg trip, to a hot place. It is going to
> need certain funtionalities, both in software and hardware, in order to
> be really useful, and braggable.
>
> MUST HAVES
>
> 1 Able to reliably sync w/ powerbook running OS 10.2.8 or 10.3,
> reccommendations on which OS appreciated.

I used Microsoft Entourage and Newtourage in Classic. Worked like a charm.
YMMV. I think I was in 10.2.6 at the time.

> 2 Two ways (software-wise) to reliably network to pc's in order to
> transfer packages. Wired and Wireless.

Didn't use this one. Can't help you. I just put every package on my
PowerBook G4.

> 3 Two ways (software-wise) to transfer documents to/from powerbook AND
> PC's. (2 each)

Again, didn't talk much to PC's. Just used my PowerBook as a go-between. You
will definitely want a USB pin drive that works with your Mac. Most of our
floppy disk drives were worthless in about a week or two from the dust.

> 4 A way to import PDF's that is not convoluted or is scriptable. No, I
> don't know anything about scripting.

There is a Web-based PDF converter that make it into HTML, then just serve
it from your PowerBook.

> 5 Invertor from 12vdc to 110vac, and 24vdc to 110vac for power adaptor.

Can't help you here either. I just took a lot of AA batteries.

> 6
>
> NICE TO HAVE
>
> 1 A way to transfer docs to/from Palm OS Devices/Windows CE Devices.

BackTalk from Robert Ellison worked for me. Never tried with WinCE, but it
worked with Palms.
http://www.smartdogsw.com
Is the URL.

> 2 Extended Duration Battery pack, you know, the big one.

Again. I just used many, many AA's with a battery tray.

> 3 GPS Moving Maps. Compatible with common mapping software, especially
> international street maps.

Wow! you are ambitious! I didn't try this, but let me know how it works!