Re: [NTLK] Internet/ Email set-up assistance required

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 00:45:16 PST

It should be relatively simple to connect the newt to the Pismo, and
the Pismo to the internet, and thus get the newton online if your pismo
is running os 10. If it's running os 9 this might be a little trickier
- and I'm not sure off the top of my head how one would do so in os 9.

In panther (os 10.3) - connect the newton via the ethernet pcmcia card
to the ethernet jack on the back of the Pismo, connect the usb modem to
the Pismo. Assuming the Pismo is already set up fo use the usb adsl
modem, you should only need to enable internet sharing.

Open system preferences(again - assuming panther, the exact location of
internet sharing settings may be different in 10.2 or 10.1.x), click on
  Sharing, then the Internet tab. You should see a menu with choices of
internet access options (ethernet, usb adsl modem, built in modem)
select the usb adapter, and check the box in the 'To computers using:"
section next to Built In-Ethernet, click START.

After that - you should be able to connect to the internet as normal
with the Pismo, then connect to the internet from the newton. I use a
wireless card on my newton so I don't know how you would set up your
newton to connect to the internet, but it should be relatively
straightforward.

Then again, if you're using os 9, all the above instructions aren't
very useful. Anyone else know if one can share internet connections in
os 9? ( I have a vague memory of the SoftwareBasestation software for
apple's airport cards in os 9 might be able to do something like this,
but I don't know for sure)

Best of luck!