Re: [NTLK] exNewt (long, very)

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 05:03:48 PST

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] exNewt (long, very)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eckhart_K=F6ppen?= <eck1001_at_gmx.net>
>
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:39:17 -0500, Mark Rollins wrote:
>> I settled on a Sony Clie UX50. Not cheap, but when you add 512MB memory
>> stick and the requisite battery pack (total only a bit thicker than the
>
> One thing that annoys me about the current crop of PDAs (and the iPod)
> is the battery life and battery design in general. While adding the
 --snip--
> Show me a PDA that uses plain AA batteries and uses flash memory, and I
> might get interested (I haven't looked thoroughly, maybe something like
> this exists already?)
>
> Eckhart

I should add that this UX50 Clie has pretty good battery life w/o the pack,
probably the following (some are guesstimates, marked by '?') and these do
not include shutting it off in a 'deep sleep' mode which takes 30 seconds or
so). The nice thing is the supplemental battery pack actually recharges the
internal pack. And even with the extra pack attached it fits in a dress
shirt pocket.

Task time time w/ extra pack
Routine
periodic
use daily 3 days+ week?

Heavy use
auditing,
camera too 6+ hrs 24 hrs?

WiFi browsing < 2 hrs about 6 hrs?

BlueTooth
to phone
browsing about 3 hrs 9 hours?

Playing
MP3 player w/
iTunes skin about 4 hrs 12+ hrs?

Playing full
Screen, 15 FPS
color episodes
of MXC and
Stripperella 2 hrs+ 6+ hrs?

And don't forget Apple manufactured an external Newt battery pack; have one
and have used it ;-)

Also one can now buy 2300 ma-Hour AA rechargeables.

I should also add that if it's in the works, and Apple can pull off
something like this Clie (check the UX50 out if you haven't) with similar
features plus a 4-10 GB hard drive for south of $900 US then they will have
a winner.