[NTLK] [Totally OT, but kinda like the answer, though what about Manu's beer now?] [was Re: [OT] Musical Chairs (was PLEASE RESPOND!!!)]

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 00:53:25 PST

>On Mar 10, 2004, at 3:09 PM, Andre Duszynski wrote:
>
> So, was there a song as well ??
>
>Yeah, I think it was Davd Bowie If I recall...
>
>Marty

Well, yeees, this it correct, buuuuut: It was a question for Manu. How's he
ever going to get his answer if you guys hijack his question?! ;=}

Anyhow, the year was 1973, and the album's title "Aladdin Sane", which
contains a wordplay worthy of vintage Bowie. He originally was an actor and
studied pantomime with renowned people in the field; after his musical
career took off in the early 70s (in 1960s he'd already had some novelty
and musichall-style singles as Davy Jones and the Lower Third) he
transported this whole theatralic aspect into his songwriting and
performances, fragments of which are currently recycled in a tv spot he
does, selling mineral water.
   Around the time of Aladdin Sane, he was producing Lou Reed (formerly of
Velvet Underground, definitely one of the most influential bands in musical
history - even if much less known and airplayed than e.g. the Beatles) and
worked with Iggy Pop (and IIRC the complete Stooges, too), also produced
Mott the Hoople ("All the young dudes" is a Bowie song). Anyhow, some of
Iggys best stuff from that time are Bowie-compositions, and as he had
returned favors to the VU on one song from this time, he also honored the
Stooges' hometown, too, when he did "Panic in Detroit" (love de riddim
dere, bro'!). Bowie also toured the US as part of Mr. Pop's lineup. Then
they moved to Berlin, the then smack-capital of the world, to get clean.
Musta kinda worked, both are still alive.

All early Bowie is interesting - if you can find it on fleamarkets cheap,
don't pass by Aladdin Sane, and especially the wonderful "Man who sold the
world"-LP with it's crispy-crunchy fresh guitar part. If you like the
Nirvana Unplugged session MTV repeatedly replays, this album's title song
was the last in that show IIRC, really a brilliant performance.
Bowie had some of the best guitar players and some of the finest guitar
parts of the post-psychedelic, pre-punk inbetween-era, then went on
(courtesy of Mr. Brian Eno of Roxy Music) to do more ambient synthie stuff
and finally ended doing ghastly pop (still much airplayed today). I'm glad
that he has recovered in the last decade and now his music moves between
ambient, jazz and dancefloor.

...and tune in again next week when we'll hear Mr. Vollkasko say: "Joe
Strummer saved my live!"

DJV.