[NTLK] On the topic of a new Newton...

From: Robert Wright (rwright730_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 16:23:19 PST

I am new to the Newton just having gotten mine a month ago. I was pretty
much charmed from the get-go and impressed by the whole experience of it.
The HWR has improved steadily and I regularly write lengthy emails and
journal entries on it.
I can sync with entourage and address book and send email wirelessly.

Still, I was intrigued to see what is currently on offer, so I tried out an
ipaq and sony clie today. Forget about HWR on the clie, but the Transcriber
on the ipaq did a very good job, and this was without any training. It also
had enough options to customize the HWR improve accuracy.

What attracted me to the ipaq was the presence of Pocket Mac, the sync
software that works with entourage and ical and address book, also with
itunes and iphoto. They also have a rudimentary Mac OS theme. So the
connectivity is possible.

So in terms of an updated Newton, instead of concentrating on the hardware
aspect, which seems a long shot to me, the best hope might be emulation on
Pocket PC. Could the newton OS run in a shell on pocketpc? Processors are
getting faster all the time. And Transcriber is pretty good.

My .02

Robert Wright