[NTLK] Questions from a new Newton user

From: Terry Longrie (terry_at_longrie.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 21:01:38 PST

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say hello and ask a couple of questions about my new favorite
gadget. I just purchased a Newton 2100 about 2 weeks ago and was hooked on
it straight away. I have had 3 different Palms and currently use an iPaq but
from the moment I started with the Newton I knew that Apple had got it right
way before the others. I like it so much I just bought a second one for my
wife! So, I guess there are actually 2 new Newton users for the group. I've
been lurking for a few days on the mailing list and have to say that the
amount of activity here is very encouraging.

My first question is pretty easy. Since I want to keep my Newton working for
as long as possible I am wondering if there is anyone out there that still
sells screen protectors in the right size for the 2100?

My second question is a bit more in depth. My background is in software
development and I'd like to start writing some software for the Newton. What
I have in mind initially is a couple of network utilities like a VT220
capable terminal emulator and an ftp client. To get started I'd like to have
the "least hassle" environment in which to do this development. Basically,
what would have been the typical hardware and software environment for a
Newton developer "back in the day"?

I do not currently own a Mac however I'd like to concentrate on writing
software rather than dealing with the little issues that crop up when trying
to work under emulators. So, I am thinking that I would buy a separate
computer that would be dedicated to Newton development work. I'm not in a
position to buy a new Mac but I figured that one from the mid to late 90's
(like an 8600) might be just the ticket and would be inexpensive on eBay.
For those of you on the list that write software for the Newton what is your
development environment like?

I can't make any promises about my productivity on Newton development projects
as my day job keeps me pretty busy days and a lot of nights but any help
people can provide getting me started would be much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone,

Terry Longrie