Re: [NTLK] stowaway keyboard

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 21:56:01 PST

   I'm not sure, but I think the only real differences between at least
the Palm and Visor keyboards is (possibly) the keymapping codes, and
the electrical interface used (different pins, maybe different signal
levels). But I haven't looked at the schematics for them in years.

   Why Palm and Visor couldn't just use the same interconnect port is a
mystery to me - especially since Visor is sort of an "official"
off-shoot of the Palm. Yes, the visor does have some 10th pin for
something or other, but then either make the handshaking protocol
different, or make the plastic parts of the HotSync ports on Palm and
Visor.

   I don't know anything about the iPaq stowaways..

> AFAIK the only stowaway keyboard that works with the adapter is the one
> that is designed for the Palm m100 series. I made the mistake of
> rushing to purchase a keyboard before my adapter arrived, and I ended
> up with a keyboard for a Handspring Visor. Needless to say, the
> Newtway connector wasn't designed to plug into that one :). Do a
> search on eBay for m100 keyboard. You'll find plenty of items.

Jim Witte
jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us
Indiana University CS