Re: [NTLK] IMPORTANT: Newton Revival Imminent

From: Morgan Nichol (newton_at_the-monkey.net)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 15:52:08 PST

What a load of rubbish. Society is doomed because that thing has a
keyboard? I beg your pardon, Ed?

A touch screen would be a nice addition (I wouldn't fancy using that
little pad all the time) as would better battery life - and I won't buy
one - but they're already well passed the Newton in many respects.

I don't believe a keyboard is anything like archaic. Nothing is faster
for getting text out of your head and into a your choice of device.
Speech recognition might get there one day, but that certainly isn't
very private, and can you imagine how horrible it would be in an office
full of people dictating their reports & emails all day?

(I don't believe anyone in their right mind would suggest pen computing
as superior to keyboarding for data entry - except maybe for a very
brief note, or a quick sketch - so I'll just drop in this snark and go
no further on that point.)

This place is bad enough with all the one-eyed Apple zealots, without
getting all worked up by a little gadget.

Regards,
Morgan

--
Morgan Nichol     -     morgan_at_quirk.co.nz
09 6200 548       -     021 159 0736