Re: [NTLK] IMPORTANT: Newton Revival Imminent

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 06:33:08 PST

on 3/18/04 1:20 AM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> There's been nothing different since the ill-fated
> Magic Cap OS...
> I'm not saying that pen input is the panacea
> either...like I said above, I don't know what is. I'm
> not a "blue sky" thinker...

But you see, this is the problem.... The vast majority of people are not
"blue sky" thinkers, and when something, like the Newton, comes out of the
blue sky, they really cannot relate/adapt/accept.... I don't want something
that makes me rethink my whole way of doing things.... At this point, I
would prefer something that works _just like_ I'm used to.... In the end,
for most people, the keyboard is the most comfortable, as hwr doesn't seem
to do it for most people... Most people aren't willing to take the time to
force themselves to adapt to a new device, or to wait for it to adapt to
them.... For them, even two days "teaching" their computer how to recognize
their handwriting is too much.... So, what do you do for them? Voice
recognition? Even with that, with today's technology, you have to train it.
Dave Pogue did a piece the other week on NWT about this, and even he
admitted that most people don't want to take the time to train the
software.... So, as awkward as keyboards are, they still are the best way to
input data it seems...

Here's a question. How many of us Newton users use the on-screen keyboard as
their primary input method? Anybody still using Graffiti or Gesture Mosaic?
This would be interesting....

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland