[NTLK] NCU- need suggestions... (-1) again

From: Berthe M. Willumsen (bmw_at_biobase.dk)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 13:52:41 PST

I am connecting to a Mac PowerBook G4 through wireless w. 128 W:
There is connection, NCU lights up, I can install packages with NCU
and use the Keyboard, for example.

I've given NCU 64000 k, I've had it set at 16000, 18000, 36000 - for
a while it worked for backups and syncronize (Claris Organizer) at
36000 then stopped; - and restarted when I changed it to 18000, but
continued working when I set it up to 36000 again to test it. Till
today.... So my conclusion is that the amt of k I give NCU has
nothing to do with it.... ?

However, the problem I have is likely to be a connection error. It
reliably gives a -1 after this sequence:
I ask NCU to syncronize. The Mac says: 'preparing for syncronize'
throughout the following. The Newt says backing up, first Dates, then
Names - all the while the lights of the wireless are indicating lots
of transfer activity. Then the Newt 'sheeshes', the Dock icons, with
backup, syncronize, install packages etc, come up, it gives the alert
sound and an error message: 'the connection was stopped because your
Mac OS computer disconnected'. Then the Mac says 'could not complete
the Backup because an error has occurred (-1) - a connection error as
you've told me. On the G4, there has been no change in the date/time
of the file that I am supposed to be syncing. I've tried to make a
new fresh file to backup to. Same.

Something similar happens if I ask to backup or export. Sometimes it
gives the -28016 error, also connection.

If it is the same soup that triggers it, it must be in Notes -
because the export I do is RTF Notes. Or text Notes. When I export,
it dies in the 'select' process: When exporting notes, one can select
which notes to export , normally all the titles of the notes are made
into a list to select from, but now that stage is never reached. When
syncing, the process never reaches Notes (that I can see) but maybe
it stops very early in the sync process?

In sync, it seems to me that the connection never really starts
(since the Mac does not change the date on the associated files ?).

I've restarted Classic and NCU. I've restarted the Mac OS. I've
restarted the Newton. I've brainwiped and restored the Newton.....

Do you think it might be bad data on the Newton that I have created
in the last few days that destroys the connection?
Since I had the experience of having a problem that looked excactly
like this (thread: NCU What is the (-1) error?), which suddenly
disappeared when I fiddled with NCU memory, I kind of hope that it
can be solved.....

Please help by suggesting things I have overlooked and I'll test it out -

--
Berthe
Denmark, MP2100