Re: [NTLK] IMPORTANT: Newton Revival Imminent

From: scotty technoir (tick0001_at_algonquincollege.com)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 18:26:44 PST

On 18-Mar-04, at 1:27 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> That isn't the end. Just wait. Keyboards are definitely not going
> away just yet. But they will not be ubiquitous forever...
>> as hwr doesn't seem
>> to do it for most people... Most people aren't willing to take the
>> time to
>> force themselves to adapt to a new device, or to wait for it to adapt
>> them....

well the way i see it is the pen-input system is much much more
antiquated than a keyboard interface, historically speaking. i think
the innovative thing about the keyboard was that it took advantage of
all of our human fingers. a pen tip condenses all our dexterity
potential into a single tip, whereas a keyboard enables us to use [up
to] 10 fingers for input. people can become wicked-fast touch typists,
typing multiple characters per second.
so any new "blue sky" [as Ed put it nicely] solution is going to have
to leverage the evolved design of our hands [until the neuro-helmets
come out anyway].

and no i dont think voice control is the solution. kiss privacy good
bye and say hello to looking like a goof on the bus.

and Dasher is Very interesting. and that NASA news bit today about
listening to nerve impulses sent to the voice box.

cool discussion!

scotty t