Re: [NTLK] How does Newton "learn"?

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 22:20:10 PST

* Vaguely Radio <vradio_at_maine.rr.com> [18 Mar 2004 18:12]:
> The question has been posed before, but so far I'm unable to find a
> definitive answer:

Ok, this isn't definitive either, but this is how it seems to work as
far as I've seen. I've played with the HWR a bit over the years to see
how to make it learn my writing the best.

> But here's the question - are there only certain circumstances in which
> Newton will learn?
>
> For example, if I write a word with one incorrect letter, and write
> over it to correct the letter, has Newton "learned" then?

yes it has.

> Does it only learn if I use the Corrector? Does it learn no matter
> what?

it learns however you correct the word. If you scrub out the word and
start again, it doesn't learn the incorrect word.

> Is "learning" simply another way of saying "difficult words are added
> to the Personal Word List" thereby making the Newton understand them in
> the future?

No, not really. Words, difficult or not, which aren't in the built-in
word list are added to your personal word list. If you don't correct the
words, it assumes it interpreted it correctly the first time and stores
that. If you did correct the words, it assumes the corrected version is
what you originally wrote and stores that new translation.

(If you made a mistake when originally writing it, it's better to scrub
it out and start the word over, otherwise the newton learns the
incorrect written word maps to the correct spelling.)

> What is the best process to adopt in order to successfully teach my
> Newton when I write unrecognized words?

Correct mistakes immediately.

If you double-tap on a recently written word, you'll see (after the
alternatives offered) the ink text of what you wrote and an option to
analyze it a letter at a time - but if you double-tap on a word written
a while ago, the ink text isn't there.

As near as I can tell, as long as you make your correction before the
ink text version disappears, the Newt learns it properly. How long is
this? I don't know exactly, but when writing a lot and writing fast (as
I did when taking class notes) it's only a few minutes. I suspect it may
be a combination of time and heap space.

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project