Re: [NTLK] How does Newton "learn"?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 23:53:35 PST

on 3/19/04 7:20 AM, Rhonda Hyslop at 0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net wrote:

>> Does it only learn if I use the Corrector? Does it learn no matter
>> what?
>
> it learns however you correct the word. If you scrub out the word and
> start again, it doesn't learn the incorrect word.

I personally think it's better to use the corrector, where it allows you to
correct a letter at a time--whenever possible...

If you have cursive selected in the prefs, you can open up an interesting
windows in prefs, called "Letter Shapes". This little window is the single
most important window for learning your handwriting. It learns how you
stroke each and every letter. It comes default from the factory with certain
strokes pre-selected, as being the most common. However, everybody writes
slightly differently, and what may most common may not be how you form your
letters. For instance, the "typical way for creating a small "o" is to draw
to the top, and back, down and under, back to the top again. As a leftie, I
simply draw a circle, so my "o"s were frequently misunderstood at the very
beginning. (back in the days I used cursive) So, as the Newton learns, it
fine-tunes these letter shape settings to match your habits. So, it helps to
be consistent in how you form your letters, and, IMO, it helps to use the
letter corrector when possible.

Actually, after I upgraded to 2.0 I discovered that it was simply easier and
faster to switch to printed recognition. :-) That's what I've used ever
since 1995, or so. :-) HTH.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland