Re: [NTLK] Semi-OT - Magic Cap vs Newton?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 09:28:26 PST

>I wouldn't be able to transfer to PCMCIA card if the Datarover needs to
>format the card to its own specifications...
>
>Can this be done with Newton packages? It was my understanding that
>the Newton formats a PCMCIA card in its own way and that it would
>render it unreadable to a PC afterwards.
>
>-Dan

Yes the Newton formats cards to is own speficiations. Nothing else can read
them, well at least directly. You can take a image of the card and extract
data that way, but it certainly is not easy and you need a lot of know-how
to do it. I don't know what GM did as far as formats go. I know that the
Magic Link (a PDA running GM hardware made by Sony) used SRAM cards, often
1meg in size. I don't know if it used flash cards as well or not.

And I have no idea what the Data Rover used for cards, that was the last PDA
to have the GM OS. And from what I read in old magazine articles they fixed
a lot of the problems that plauged the old Magic Link's. But I believe the
company failed becuase the previous problems stuck in the mind of consumers.
Something like the HWR jokes with the early Newtons, even though those
problems were fixed.

Oh has anyone tried that GM backdrop for the Newton? I get a error when I
try to run it.

-Dan